Friday, January 12, 2007

Manuka Honey Used to Treat MRSA-Infected Wound

Honey..I Saved My Leg
Superbug Beaten By Natural Cure
By Natalie Walker, Glasgow Daily Record (UK), 1/12/2007

PENSIONER Pat Kane reckons that honey is the bees' knees - because it saved his leg from being amputated.

Pat, 76, is back on his feet after he was struck down by the potentially lethal MRSA superbug.

The retired shop owner said last night: "It's a true miracle. I must be the luckiest man in the world."

Pat, who lives in Glasgow's southside, became infected with the bug two weeks after knee replacement surgery at the city's Victoria Infirmary in December 2004.

He was put on a year-long course of strong antibiotics, but they failed to clear the infection.

Last February, a surgeon warned Pat that he could lose his right leg in less than six weeks.

But his brother had a chance conversation with chiropractor Alex Burke, who recommended that he try manuka honey.

The New Zealand honey is an ancient Maori antidote used for curing infections. Pat said: "I tried it straight away. I started applying the honey directly on to the wound and, in less than six weeks, it began healing."…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had known about this 4 years ago. I had three different confirmed MRSA infections, lucky for me not at the same time, nor did they get huge and out of control. Prescription meds took about six weeks to get it eradicated.